ASSISTANT DEPUTY OF ACCOUNTING
Department: Controller’s Office
Reports to: Deputy Controller
Bargaining Unit: None
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date: October 5.2021
Responsible for supervising and monitoring the accounting, reconciliation, and payroll divisions. Oversee operations that include pre-audit, contract, bond and disbursement functions. Directs all financial aspects of the County to simultaneously ensure high quality reporting, financial strength, information sharing and establish appropriate internal controls.
- Direct, review and approve/ authorize preparation of interim and year-end financial statements and supporting analysis for the County, as well as financial reports required to be submitted to the Federal Government and the Department of Public Welfare (Single Audit Reports).
- Ensure that the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and interim financial statements are in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and are submitted on time.
- Maintain and improve knowledge and skills in governmental accounting standards through professional development in order to implement current and future accounting guidelines (GASBs)
- Coordinate independent audit of the County’s financial statements.
- Monitor adopted budget for the County to ensure accuracy of projected revenue streams and compliance with authorized expense levels.
- Approves three taxing body disbursements for City of Pittsburgh, PPS School District, and Allegheny County by co-signing all checks issued.
- Cross train other staff accountants in the specific daily duties for each fund as needed. Coordinate training classes for staff accountants and managers.
- Understand the goals and objectives of assigned tasks and alert Deputy Controller if issues arise.
- Supervise special projects as assigned.
- Establish and maintain professional relationship with appropriate personnel at County departments and offices.
- Manage accounting division staff and create a positive working environment
- Must be able to work independently and be detail oriented and organized
- Ability to perform detailed work involving written or analytical data to make accurate conclusions in a timely manner.
- Must be able to respond to changing priorities and accomplish a multitude of tasks in a timely fashion without close supervision.
- Thorough knowledge of governmental accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to prepare financial reports and statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- General Supervision of Assigned staff including but not limited to Fiscal Clerks, Accountants, Managers and Supervisors working in the accounting division.
Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Business Administration or Accounting along with proven experience using accounting applications or fiscal principles and practices. Prefer 5+ years of governmental accounting.
Competitive salary. Allegheny County residency within 1 year.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All interested parties should submit resume and cover letter to:
Tracy Royston, Deputy of Administration